Skip to main content

£150 government council tax rebate

As part of the government’s support to help with rising energy costs, most households in council tax bands A to D will receive a £150 rebate.

You do not need to apply to the rebate, we are writing to households we know are eligible.

Beware of scams
There have been reports of scams relating to the £150 government council tax rebate. Always be suspicious of any request asking for your bank details.

Update on the rebate payments

We are required to complete all payments by the end of September 2022. So far we have issued the £150 rebate to 88,116 customers, with just over 9,000 left to pay.

Payments are being made into bank accounts. They appear on your bank statement as ‘Southglos-general’. Check your bank records (from April onwards) to confirm you have had yours as notifications are not being issued.

Please do not contact us to chase your payment as dealing with these enquiries leaves us with less time and resources to process them.

Note: in some cases we need to complete additional checks, so even when we have your completed form you may not receive payment straight away. If additional checks are needed we will contact you directly either by phone or email.

We apologise that these checks may cause delay for a small number of customers, however it is essential that payments are made to the correct bank account.

Working with our software supplier ‘NEC Software Solutions UK’ we have sent letters and reminders that signpost to this online form that must be completed – to do this, you will need your bank details, unique code from your letter and your council tax account number (this is on your council tax bill).

If you would like to check that your letter is genuine, you can visit one of our One Stop Shops or call us on 01454 868003.

If you’ve had your letter or reminder but have not yet completed the online form, please do this as soon as possible. For security reasons, the unique code we have included will expire after 30 days.

It is not possible to apply for your rebate by phone. People who do not have access to the internet, or need help applying, should visit one of our One Stop Shops or libraries.


Most households in bands A to D are eligible, except those properties that are second homes or registered as empty. Visit GOV.UK to check your council tax band.

There is an additional discretionary scheme which will provide the £150 rebate to:

  • people who get council tax reduction in bands E to H
  • people who get Disabled Band Reduction (DBR) in bands E to G
  • foster carers in bands E to H
  • care homes in bands E to H
  • carers in bands E to H who are disregarded for council tax purposes as they provide care to someone within their household
  • people who have severe mental impairment in bands E to H
  • households in bands E to H where there is an existing disregard as a member of the household is receiving long term care in hospital or care home
  • students in bands E to H
  • households in bands E to H where everyone living there is under 18 years of age
  • night shelters or hostels in bands E to H
  • households where everyone living there over 18 years old is on a government recognised apprenticeship scheme

Discretionary scheme payments will be processed once the payments for households in bands A to D have been made. We aim to start processing these in the next week or so. You do not need to contact us, we will send letters to those who we know are eligible.

If you are in receipt of full council tax reduction and therefore do not pay council tax you can still get the £150 government rebate, as long as you meet one of the above eligibility criteria.

Other support available

If you are having problems paying your council tax, contact us as soon as possible to discuss what help you may be able to get.  

There are details of the grants, benefits and other help available on our Financial support for residents webpage.

There are also other local and national grants available to help with the cost of living, the organisation Warm and Well can help you find out what you might be eligible for. We work with them to offer householders energy efficiency advice and support.

You must continue to pay your council tax, for the amount (and by the dates) shown on your bill.

Donating your rebate

If you would like to donate your rebate, you could choose to donate it to Severn Wye Energy. They are a charity focused on relieving fuel poverty and promoting renewable energy.

With our support, they provide free independent energy advice and grants to make changes which help reduce energy consumption.

You can donate on the Severn Wye website. Please make sure you include a message when you donate to say this is for South Gloucestershire, so your donation can be reinvested into our area.

More information

Visit GOV.UK to read the cost of living support factsheet. This includes the other government support available, including the latest update on the Energy Bills Support Scheme (doubled on 26 May to a one-off £400).


This page was updated on: 16 August 2022

Is there anything wrong with this page?