Skip to main content

Due to essential maintenance our online forms and Public Access (planning, building control and licensing online) service will be unavailable Saturday 22 June 2019 between approximately 9am and 1pm. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Marriages in a religious building

To arrange a religious marriage ceremony you will need to speak to the priest or minister in charge of the building. They will be able to advise you what you need to do next and their fees.

Giving notice of marriage

If you marry in a Church of England church, banns will normally be called, so you will not need to contact us.

To marry in other churches or religious buildings, you will each have to give a legal notice of your marriage to the superintendent registrar of the district(s) in which you live, see giving notice of marriage. If the church or religious building is NOT in the district in which either of you live, you can only marry there if you qualify by worshipping at that church or religious building regularly.  The church or religious building must be your “usual place of worship” in order for your marriage to proceed.

In cases where neither party to the marriage qualifies, one or both of you must reside in the appropriate district for a minimum of seven clear days before giving notice of marriage with the registrars for that district.  On the same day the party who remained at their usual address must also give notice in their home district.  Please contact South Gloucestershire Register Office for more advice if this applies to you.

A registrar will only have to attend the ceremony if there is no authorised person – this is usually the priest or minister.  You should contact the register office for the district where the religious building is situated to book a registrar; there will be additional fees payable for the registrar to attend.

Is there anything wrong with this page?