Skip to main content

How to report anti-social behaviour (ASB)

Anti-social behaviour is anything which causes (or is likely to cause) harassment, alarm or distress to one or more people not in the same household.

Isolated incidents may not seem serious, but continued anti-social behaviour can have a devastating impact for people affected by it.

If the behaviour is ongoing, keep a record of the events, including times, dates and how the behaviour is making you feel. This will help us to understand the issues and take action. Remember you can contact us with confidence, in confidence.

Anti-social behaviour that we deal with

We deal with anti-social behaviour which affects individuals such as:

  • neighbour disputes (only if one or both parties are in private housing)
  • intimidation
  • harassment
  • threatening behaviour
  • hate crime

We also deal with anti-social behaviour in the community such as:

  • graffiti
  • modern slavery
  • tension monitoring
  • CCTV
  • fly grazing

Anti-social behaviour we do not deal with

You should contact the police for the following anti-social behaviour:

  • rowdy drunken behaviour
  • someone starting fires
  • inconsiderate use of vehicles
  • begging
  • underage drinking
  • cycling on a footpath
  • physical attacks, intimidation or harassment
  • drug taking or dealing
  • hoax calls
  • prostitution or kerb crawling
  • criminal damage, vandalism and graffiti to private property (graffiti on our land can be reported to us)
  • housing association tenants
  • e-scooter issues

You can also contact our Environmental Protection team by email or by calling 01454 868001 about:

  • fly tipping
  • urinating in public
  • air pollution

If you are making a report about a housing association property then you need to contact the housing association and report the ASB to them.

What is not classed as anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour does not include:

  • boundary disputes
  • children playing in a street or communal area
  • family disputes
  • noise from children playing
  • normal living noises such as toilets flushing or stairs being used
  • not being able to park outside your home

How to report anti-social behaviour (ASB)

You can contact the Council’s Community safety team by telephone: 01454 868582 or by using our ASB reporting form.

The office is open Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

  • Monday to Thursday from 8.45am until 4pm
  • Friday from 8.45am until 4pm

If you are reporting an emergency then please call the Police on 999. If it is not an emergency but you need police attendance or you think a crime has been committed, please call the Police on 101 or make an online report to Avon & Somerset Police.

What information to provide when you contact us

  • what happened
  • where did it happen
  • when did it happen
  • who was involved
  • how did it make you feel

We will probably provide you with an ASB reporting form for you to keep should you continue to experience problems.

We will need consent from you to record your details and share any information that we think is necessary with our partners, in order to help resolve the problem. If you wish to report an incident anonymously then you can do so but we will not be able to update you on your case.

We will normally carry out a risk assessment. This is based on a number of questions that help us understand how the ASB is affecting you, and it will help us to identify what support we might need to offer you.

If you would like some more general information about ASB and how you might be able to resolve it yourself then visit the ASB help website.

Victim Support – South Gloucestershire

Victim Support offers emotional and practical support to victims and witnesses of Anti-Social Behaviour. We can liaise with the various agencies involved on your behalf.

We work completely independently of the Police, Local Authority, Housing or other Government Agency. It is an impartial, confidential service which is victim led and free to access.

You can contact the Independent Anti-Social Behaviour Caseworker:

Name: Jeannette Franks

Telephone: 07950 892 945


For additional information on our Victim Support services visit the Victim Support website

Anti-social behaviour community trigger

You can start a community trigger if you’ve reported anti-social behaviour but don’t feel enough action has been taken.

This must meet the trigger criteria and be a closed case.

Find more information on the Anti-social Behaviour Community Trigger tool.

Is there anything wrong with this page?