Skip to main content

Due to essential maintenance our online forms and Public Access (planning, building control and licensing online) service will be unavailable Saturday 22 June 2019 between approximately 9am and 1pm. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Replacement certificates

How to get a replacement certificate for a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership that took place in South Gloucestershire

In order to obtain a replacement certificate from the Registrars in South Gloucestershire the event must have been registered by us. This means births that took place in Bristol (at Southmead Hospital for example), Bath or any other district in England or Wales can only be obtained from the register office for that area. If you know the birth, death, marriage or civil partnership took place in South Gloucestershire please write to us enclosing:

  • full name of the person or people
  • date of the event
  • where the event took place, for example the name of the church for a marriage, the hospital or address where a death occurred
  • any further information you have to help us find the correct entry – for example parents’ names for a birth, details of father’s names and occupation of bride and groom for marriages
  • a cheque or postal order for £11 made payable to South Gloucestershire Council
  • your name, address and contact phone number (these details are mandatory)
  • a stamped, self-addressed envelope for us to send the replacement certificate back

South Gloucestershire Register Office
Chief Executive and Corporate Resources Department
PO Box 1953
BS37 0DB

Tel: 01454 863140

We can only accept applications in writing at the present time. You can also visit the register office at Kingswood Civic Centre during opening hours and complete an application form. We are unable to take card payments at reception for applications so please bring cash, a cheque or a postal order for the fee.

Not all of the recent church registers in South Gloucestershire are deposited with us, some remain at the churches.  Please email the register office at to find out if we have the entry you seek before applying. We need to know the exact date of the wedding and the exact church before we can confirm we have the entry, without these details we will be unable to respond to your request.

To receive replacement certificates for events that took place in Bristol, please contact the Bristol register office on 0117 922 2800 or apply online at

If you are researching family history a full range of general register office indexes are available on microfiche at the following locations:

  • Birmingham central library
  • Bridgend reference and information library
  • The British library
  • City of Westminster archives centre
  • Greater Manchester county record office
  • The London Metropolitan Archive
  • Plymouth central library

As well as the birth, marriage and death indexes for the whole of England and Wales, indexes for recent events such as the adopted children register, civil partnerships and births, deaths and marriages of British citizens that have been registered overseas are also available.

It is not possible to buy certificates at any of the above locations, although some may provide internet access to the general register office online certificate ordering service.

Please use the following forms to apply for certificates (including replacement certificates) for a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership that took place in South Gloucestershire.




Is there anything wrong with this page?