Skip to main content

Coronavirus: latest information on our response, updates on our services and what support is available

Licensing - storage of petroleum

To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine – or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use – you need a licence from your local petroleum licensing authority.

Licence summary Fees will be payable for a licence. Conditions may be attached to a licence.
Eligibility criteria We will aim to have determined your application within 60 days of a completed application being submitted. Please see application form for details of what is required of a completed application.
Regulation summary A summary of the regulation relating to this licence
Application evaluation Please see application form for details of what is required of a completed application.
Will tacit consent apply? No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through GOV.UK or use the contact details below.
Apply online

You must fully complete the application form and make payment of the licence fee before submission to the Licensing Team or the application will be deemed improperly made and returned to you.

Complaint or appeal In the first instance please contact the Trading Standards & Licensing Manager on 01454 863489, or email If an application is refused the applicant may appeal to the Secretary of State.
Licence holder redress Please contact your local authority in the first instance.
Consumer complaint We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you – preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
Other complaint or concern Please contact or phone 01454 868001 for advice.
Trade associations

Is there anything wrong with this page?