Skip to main content

Premises licence

Premises licences will be required for a wide range of premises, including:

  • public houses
  • restaurants
  • premises with retail alcohol sales (supermarkets, shops, off licences etc.)
  • hotels and other commercial residential premises
  • non-qualifying clubs
  • late night refreshment premises

Types of services affected

A premises licence is required for the use of any premises, part of premises, or place for:

  • the sale of alcohol
  • the supply of alcohol or on behalf of a club to the order of the member of a club
  • the provision of regulated entertainment
  • the provision of late night refreshment

Applying for a premise licence

Applications for premises licences have to be supported by an operating schedule. The operating schedule will have to set out the nature and times of licensable activities taking place along with measures to meet the four licensing objectives contained in the Licensing Act of 2003. The application will also have to specify the designated premises supervisor – again another new provision. A designated premises supervisor will have to be a person who holds a personal licence under the Licensing Act of 2003, and is in control of the day-to-day management of the premises.

To apply for a Premises Licence and/or for further guidance, please visit the Premises Licence applications page.

To apply for variations on a Premises Licence and/or for further guidance, please visit the Premises variations application page.

To apply for Designated Premises Supervisor, please visit the DPS application page.

For fee amounts, please visit download our fees information.

Is there anything wrong with this page?