Skip to main content

Coronavirus (Covid-19): latest information on our response, updates on our services and what support is available.

Full national restrictions on GOV.UK.

  • Sort It centre closures for weekends 21-22 and 28-29 November
  • Online planning, building control and licensing services will be unavailable 24 – 26 November due to a system upgrade.
    Some of our online services will also be unavailable on 24 November due to essential maintenance.

About licensing for alcohol and entertainment

Under the Licensing Act 2003 South Gloucestershire Council is the authority for both alcohol and entertainment licensing. This means that you will need to obtain a licence for the following activities:

  • selling alcohol by retail
  • if you are a qualifying club, supplying alcohol to a club member, or selling alcohol to a guest of a club member
  • providing regulated entertainment
  • selling late night refreshments – hot food or drink between 11.00pm and 5.00am for consumption on or off the premises, unless you are a hotel, staff canteen or campsite

A single premises licence is needed to supply alcohol, entertainment, late night refreshments or any combination of these activities. However, if you wish to sell alcohol you will also require a personal licence.

The act also allows local people and businesses to have a say when someone applies for a licence or certificate to sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment or provide late night refreshments.

Is there anything wrong with this page?