Skip to main content

Coronavirus (Covid-19): service updates, support and health advice.

Licensing – track betting

The Gambling Act 2005 defines a track as a horse racecourse, greyhound track or other premises on any part of which a race or other sporting event takes place or is intended to take place. There are various types of betting which take place in relation to tracks.

​There are a number of other venues where sporting events do or could take place and therefore, could accommodate the provision of betting facilities. Examples of tracks include;

  • horse racecourse
  • greyhound track
  • point to point horserace meeting
  • Football, cricket and rugby grounds
  • athletics stadium
  • golf course
  • venues hosting darts, bowls or snooker tournaments
  • premises staging boxing matches
  • sections of river hosting a fishing competition
  • motor racing event

If an individual or company wants to offer betting facilities on a sporting event then different forms of approval are available, one of which must be obtained if betting is to be provided, irrespective of whether the betting is generally incidental to the main sporting activity. The different types of approval for the provision of betting facilities at premises are;

  • premises licence (track)
  • occasional use notice

A track premises licence permits the premises to be used for the provision of facilities for betting, but does not permit the licence holder to provide casino, bingo or other types of gambling on tracks, as these activities are the subject of separate premises licences.

Where applicable, the relevant fee must be submitted with the application.

Is there anything wrong with this page?