A premises licence, issued under the Gambling Act 2005, is required for any premises where an individual or company proposes to offer premises based gambling and are issued in respect of specific premises.
The types of licence available are;
- Casino premises licence
- Bingo premises licence
- Adult gaming centre premises licence (enabling Category B gaming machines to be made available for use at the premises)
- Family entertainment centre premises licence (enabling Category C gaming machines to be made available for use at the premises)
- Betting premises licence (enabling the provision of facilities for betting, by making or accepting bets or by acting as a betting intermediary)
An application for a premises licence may only be made by persons (which includes companies or partnerships);
- who have the right to occupy the premises; and
- who have an operating licence which allows him/her to carry out the proposed activity, or have applied for an operating licence (the premises licence may only be issued once the operating licence has been issued) from the Gambling Commission
- an applicant for a premises licence must be over the age of 18
Except in the case of a track, a premises licence may not authorise the use of premises for activities of more than one of the types listed above. A licence may not be issued in respect of premises if those premises already have a premises licence in effect.
Section 204 of the Act provides for a person to make an application to us for a Provisional Statement in respect of premises that s/he;
- expects to be constructed
- expects to be altered or
- expects to acquire a right to occupy
Unlike a premises licence application, a person can apply for a provisional statement without having an operating licence from the Gambling Commission or a right to occupy the premises.
As well as providing a level of assurance as to the outcome of a subsequent premises licence application, a provisional statement also provides the holder with some protection against representations when they make an application for a premises licence in relation to the premises for which they hold a provisional statement.
For fees, please visit our Fees and Price List page.
Is there anything wrong with this page?