Skip to main content

Our online services for planning, building control and licensing applications will be unavailable tomorrow from 12pm to 2pm, Saturday 3 December. This is due to essential maintenance.

Business rates appeals

Rateable Value Appeals

All non-domestic properties have a rateable value which is set by the valuation officers of the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), an agency of HM Revenue and Customs. They draw up and maintain all rateable values and compile them into a rating list, the national non-domestic rating list is available to be viewed on their website at

The rateable value of your property is shown on the front of your bill. This broadly represents the annual rent the property could have been let for on the open market on a particular date. For the 2010 revaluation that came into effect on 1 April 2010, this date was set as 1 April 2008. For the 2017 revaluation on 1 April 2017, this date was set as 1 April 2015.

You can appeal against the rate at which your premises have been valued. There are two ways for you to make an appeal (also known as making a proposal), you can appeal online using the Valuation Office Agency website or by filling in a form.

A proposal form can be requested by email, over the phone or on their website and by post see below:


Phone: 03000 501 501


Non-domestic Rates South West
Valuation Office Agency
Wycliffe House
Green Lane

If you decide to go ahead and make an appeal a valuation officer will be assigned to your case. If the valuation officer agrees with the proposal or all parties reach agreement on another value, the rateable value will be changed.

If they cannot agree, the appeal is passed to an independent valuation tribunal. For more information about the appeals process, visit the Valuation Office Agency website.

During the appeals process, you must continue to pay your business rates bill.

Rating advisors

Ratepayers do not have to be represented in discussions about their rateable value or their rates bill. Appeals against rateable values can be made free of charge. However, ratepayers who do wish to be represented should be aware that members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS – website ) and the Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation (IRRV – website ) are qualified and are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct. Before you employ a rating advisor, you should check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. Take great care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract.

Is there anything wrong with this page?