Skip to main content

Some of our forms for reporting a street care problem will be unavailable on Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 May. This is because of essential maintenance.

Coronavirus (Covid-19): service updates, support and health advice.

National rules and restrictions during coronavirus can be found on GOV.UK

How housing benefit is paid

Housing benefit is paid either fortnightly in arrears to customers or four weekly in arrears to landlords

Housing benefit will be paid directly into your bank account. If you do not have a bank account we can provide details on how to open one or we can advise you on how else we can make payments.

If you rent your property from a housing association, you can choose if you want your housing benefit paid to you or your landlord. You must indicate this on the application form in the relevant place.

If you ask for your benefit to be paid to you, we may ask you to provide proof that your rent is paid up to date but this will depend on how long you have had the tenancy.

If you rent your property from a private landlord, local housing allowance rules apply for paying housing benefit which are different to the above.

If you wish to make a claim in person, hand in forms or documents for your claim or seek advice about it, you can visit one of our one stop shops in Kingswood, Thornbury, Yate and Patchway.

You can use our My housing benefit online service to check the amount and date of your next payment.

Please note that payments due on or around public holidays may be subject to change.

Is there anything wrong with this page?