Skip to main content

Some of our forms for reporting a street care problem will be unavailable on Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 May. This is because of essential maintenance.

Coronavirus (Covid-19): service updates, support and health advice.

National rules and restrictions during coronavirus can be found on GOV.UK

Housing benefit for people from abroad

How we consider your eligibility to housing benefit if you are not a UK national or have recently entered the country.

The rules for people from abroad are very complex. The law has been amended and altered over a number of years.

Housing benefit is only available to people who are:

  • habitually resident in the common travel area (CTA) which includes the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man
  • lawfully present in the United Kingdom (UK)
  • nationals of a country within the CTA or who have the right to reside in the UK without having a ‘no recourse to public funds’ condition attached to their right to reside

To be eligible for housing benefit  you must satisfy or be exempt from the immigration status test and habitual residence test.

We may have to contact the Home Office or Department for Work and Pensions to confirm information you have given and to obtain further relevant information.

If you have any doubts about whether you are eligible to claim you should contact the Benefit Service immediately.

This information is for guidance only.

Please contact us to talk about your individual circumstances and we will be able to give you more information.

If you wish to make a claim in person, hand in forms or documents for your claim or seek advice about it, you can visit one of our one stop shops in Kingswood, Thornbury, Yate and Patchway.

For further information please visit

Is there anything wrong with this page?