Skip to main content

Some of our forms for reporting a street care problem will be unavailable on Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 May. This is because of essential maintenance.

Coronavirus (Covid-19): service updates, support and health advice.

National rules and restrictions during coronavirus can be found on GOV.UK

Evidence needed to claim housing benefit

You will need to provide us with supporting evidence when making an application for housing benefit.

We will need to see evidence of:

National insurance number

We need to see one item of proof of yours and your partner’s (if you have one) national insurance number. Some examples of where you will see your national insurance number are:

  • National Insurance number card
  • P45 or P60
  • Tax Credit award letter
  • Payslip
  • Department for Work and Pensions benefit award letter


We need to see two items of proof of your and your partner’s (if you have one) identity. Some examples are:

  • birth certificate or marriage certificate
  • passport or national identity card
  • TV licence
  • utility bills such as gas, electricity, water etc.
  • medical card
  • driving licence

Income and savings

We need to see proof of all your and your partner’s (if you have one) income and savings:

  • wages – where paid monthly, last two pay slips; where paid weekly, last five payslips; where paid fortnightly, last three payslips or a certificate of earnings (which we can send you) completed by your employer
  • self-employed – accounts for the last 12 months or, if your business has been running for less than a year, we will ask you to complete a self employed questionnaire which we will send you
  • private / works pension – the last two payment slips or two recent monthly bank statements
  • other income – original documents showing these i.e. award notifications
  • savings – where proof is needed, the last two months bank / building society statements, share certificates, National Savings Certificates, post office statements or books etc.
  • all other savings and capital such as ISA, TESSA, stocks and shares, premium bonds and property and land


If you rent your home we will need to see proof of the rent that you are charged. We will normally ask you to supply your tenancy agreement or an official rent notification letter (if you rent your home from a housing association)

Is there anything wrong with this page?