Skip to main content

We are currently experiencing problems with card and online payments via our Capita Pay360 service. We apologise for any inconvenience and will advise once normal service has been restored.

What if I am a student

Contact us

Gives information to students on whether they may be able to claim Housing Benefit.

What is a student?

A student is defined as “any person who is undertaking a course of study at an educational establishment”. This includes:

  • study at any level (from school onwards) and either full or part-time
  • students with or without loans or grants
  • both state funded and private establishments
  • both term-times and vacations

When a course of study starts a student is treated as such until they finish the course, abandon it or are dismissed from it.   Therefore, someone is still classed as a student during the Christmas and Easter holidays and any summer holidays within the course, even if they take up full-time work.

Can I claim housing benefit?

Most full time students are not allowed to claim housing benefit. The exceptions to this include:

  • students with a partner
  • part time students
  • students whose grant includes an amount for deafness
  • students who get Incapacity Benefit
  • students who get a Disability premium
  • students who are responsible for a child (including foster children)
  • students over pension age
  • some students under 21 who are not in higher education
  • students who are authorised absent from their course because they are ill or are caring for someone

If you are a student and are not sure if you can claim please contact us.​

Is there anything wrong with this page?