Skip to main content

Ukraine crisis help and support


“South Gloucestershire has always played its part in helping to support and to resettle people affected by conflict who have come to this country. Our thoughts are focused on the terrible events in Ukraine and of course we stand ready to play our role in resettling people forced to flee the war in that country.”

Read the full statement from Leader of South Gloucestershire Council, Cllr Toby Savage.


Ukraine Family Scheme

The Ukraine Family Scheme allows family members of British nationals, UK settled persons and certain others to come to or stay in the UK.

Read more information about the Ukraine Family Scheme

Read about what you need to do before you travel to the UK and what to do after you arrive


Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme (Homes for Ukraine)

The Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme allows Ukrainian nationals and their family members to come to the UK if they have a named sponsor under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme.

Read more information about applying to the Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme

Read about what you need to do before you travel to the UK and what to do after you arrive

Read the government’s Homes for Ukraine: factsheet for Ukrainians  including Ukrainian and Russian translations

Homes for Ukraine Frequently Asked Questions including Ukrainian and Russian translations


Apply to remain

Ukrainians already in the UK with a visa will be able to extend their stay by extending their visa or switching to another immigration route, where eligible, even if their visa does not normally allow them to do so.

Check what you need to do


The UK government has published a guide for Ukrainians arriving in the UK. This covers what you need to know in your first few days, getting used to life in the UK, including how to find a home, access essential public services, healthcare, find work and childcare and education services. Translations are to follow shortly.


Read about becoming a sponsor and register your interest

You do not need to record your interest as a sponsor if you have a family member fleeing Ukraine. They should apply for the Ukraine Family Scheme visa instead.

The first UK government-funded scheme linking sponsors with Ukrainian refugees has been launched by the charity Reset Communities and Refugees – The UK’s Community Sponsorship Hub • Reset Communities and Refugees (

The scheme will pair sponsors with refugees, provide training and assist with safeguarding.

Read the frequently asked questions about becoming a sponsor on GOV.UK.

You can also read more information about accommodation requirements in our accommodation check form.


Council actions

We recognise that a number of our residents and staff have a personal or family connection to Ukraine, Russia and elsewhere in Eastern Europe and that they will be finding the news of recent developments in that part of the world very worrying.

Our thoughts are with you and with those in the affected areas and we hope, of course, for a swift resolution to the situation.

There are a number of sources of mental health and emotional wellbeing support for adults that you can access if you are feeling anxious about this or any aspect of your lives.



The Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) has launched a Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal.

DEC brings together 15 leading UK aid charities, raising funds to quickly and effectively respond to overseas disasters.

To make a donation towards the UN’s humanitarian work in Ukraine, visit Ukrainian Humanitarian Fund UN Crisis Relief.

There are many other charities collecting donations, both financial and supplies such as food and clothing. The Charity Commission and Fundraising Regulator have urged the public to ‘give safely’ to registered charities helping and supporting those affected.


For parents of young children or young people

With the situation in Ukraine, your children may be asking questions that you are unsure how to answer.

If you have a child in a South Gloucestershire school who is affected by the crisis, talk to your child’s school about any concerns you have and the support you would like the school to provide.

Other things that can help:

Is there anything wrong with this page?