How to use your Diamond Travelcard
If you are of qualifying age, or eligible disabled and live in England, you can apply for a bus pass providing free off-peak travel on local buses anywhere in England.
The concessionary national travelcard is in the form of a smart card. In South Gloucestershire and in most other areas of England you should place your card against the ticket machine.
When you can travel with the travelcard
- in South Gloucestershire, Bristol, North Somerset and Bath and North East Somerset, you can use your pass from 9.00am Mondays to Fridays (through to 2am the next day) and all day weekends and Bank Holidays
- in the rest of England (outside South Gloucestershire, Bristol, North Somerset and Bath and North East Somerset) you can use the pass from 9.30am until 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and Bank Holidays
- off-peak times may vary in other regions so please check before you travel
- Wessex Connect are charging a £1 flat fare to people who travel before 9am on Mondays to Fridays on presentation of a travelcard
Where you can travel with the travelcard
- the concessionary national travelcard provides free travel on ‘local services’ throughout England.
- local services in this case are those buses which are part of the local bus network. In a few instances this may include longer distance bus and coach services. You will need to check with the operator or local authority before you travel to see if they are included
- journeys can still be made into Wales, from South Gloucestershire, on service X7 to Newport and Chepstow, however the travelcard cannot be used for other services once in Wales
- the concessionary national travelcard is not valid for the sightseeing tour buses in Bath and Bristol
- the travelcard is not valid for free travel on coach services such as National Express, Megabus or Falcon. Check with the operators of these services about discounted fares they offer
- from 1 July 2016 the Travelcard will no longer be valid for free travel on the A1 service that runs between Bristol Bus Station and Bristol Airport. Similarly, on the A4 service between Bath and Bristol Airport, the travelcard will only be accepted for journeys between Bath and Bedminster Down or vice versa
- concessionary card holders no longer receive a paper ticket when travelling on a First service
- free bus travel is only available in England and not in other parts of the UK
You cannot use your pass in taxis or on trainsIs there anything wrong with this page?