Impact on the network
The southern viaduct on the A4174 will be closed to all traffic for the duration of the Bromley Heath Viaduct work programme. A contraflow will temporarily take single lane traffic, pedestrians and cyclists across the northern viaduct.
The contraflow goes into operation at 6am on Monday, 24 July and work is expected to take up to 33 weeks.
There will be major delays in the area and on neighbouring roads and there will be a significant impact on journey times. This is one of the busiest sections of the ring road and congestion is expected from Emersons Green in the east and beyond the ring road junction with the M32 in the west.
Advice for travelling on the ring road
People are advised to allow double the normal time for their journey and to plan ahead. View our traffic management maps page and make sure you are aware of changes in the direction of travel at the Hambrook traffic lights.
You could also:
- consider how you travel and whether you can take public transport or ride a bike instead
- avoid peak times during the morning and evening rush hour if possible
- change your usual route using the wider network (M32, M4, M5) instead
- talk to your employer about flexible working patterns, working from home or working at a different location to avoid the works
- plan ahead and be prepared for delays
Helping to minimise disruption
We are doing everything we can to limit the impact of these works including:
- engaging with residents and considering their views on our traffic management plans
- encouraging people to consider their journey routes and time of travel
- working closely with employers in the area to look at alternative travel options and support they can provide for staff
- offering support to schools including road safety assemblies, sustainable travel initiatives and meetings with head teachers
- liaising with emergency services and other key stakeholders throughout the project
- installing advance warnings of delays on major routes
- recalibrating the Hambrook traffic lights to maximise the flow of traffic along the ring road
- installing temporary traffic lights at the B4465 junction with the A46 to allow traffic avoiding the work to access Junction 18 of the M4
- increasing the frequency of bus services
- opening a new park and ride facility at Lyde Green early