Skip to main content

Due to essential maintenance the following services will be unavailable on Saturday 20 April:

Funding boost for electric car network

This news article was published more than a year ago. Some of the information may no longer be accurate.

Published: 31/07/2013


The £562,000 award will fund the installation of seven charging points at locations throughout South Gloucestershire during the next two years, helping encourage the uptake of electric cars and reducing the district’s transport-related carbon emissions.

The award will also fund installation of a further eight points in Gloucestershire and Bristol, as part of a network of rapid charging points along the M4 and M5 corridors.

Rapid charging points allow motorists to charge their car in approximately 30 minutes, giving owners of electric vehicles greater confidence in making longer distance journeys.

Chair of South Gloucestershire’s Planning, Transportation and Strategic Environment Committee Cllr Brian Allinson said: “This is very welcome news and supports our ambition to reduce transport related carbon emissions in South Gloucestershire by expanding our network of electric car charging points.

“These rapid charging points are especially significant because they will give motorists greater confidence to invest in electric vehicles in the knowledge that they can use them for long-distance as well as short local journeys.

He added: “I am particularly pleased that through this government grant, we have been able to lever in private sector funding to help us deliver this important element of our Local Transport Plan and Climate Change Strategy."

The OLEV grant will contribute 75 per cent of the funding for the rapid charging points, with the remaining 25 per cent met by the private sector. The funding arrangements mean that South Gloucestershire will not need to provide any capital funding for the charging points.

The South Gloucestershire charging points are likely to be installed at Cribbs Causeway, East Filton Retail Park, Longwell Green, Aust, the M4 Junction 18 and at two other locations serving major local businesses.

It is anticipated that work will begin on the detailed design for the points in September, with installation completed by March 2015.


Is there anything wrong with this page?