Skip to main content

Home energy advice

New Energy Efficiency Standards for Private Landlords

The Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES) which came into force in England and Wales on 1 April 2018, applies to private rented residential properties. The regulations are aimed at encouraging landlords and property owners to improve the energy efficiency of their properties. From April 1st 2018 properties that have an energy performance certificate rating of F or G are not permitted to be to relet to new or existing tenants, until sufficient energy measures have been carried out to improve the rating to an E or above.

From 1 April 2020 landlords will not be able to continue letting a property with an F or G rating.

Currently, landlords are not expected to finance the cost of improvements but to use third party resources such as Green Deal and Local authority improvement grants.

In certain circumstances, a landlord may be able to claim an exemption for example, where he is unable to obtain the funding to cover the cost of making improvements or in situations where despite improvements having been made the property remains below the Minimum E Standard.

Such exemptions must be registered on the National PRS Exemption Register.

Further information and guidance can be found at:

The Private Rented Property minimum standard – landlord guidance documents

Home energy loan

South Gloucestershire residents can apply for a loan to improve their homes with energy efficiency measures and renewable technology installations. To find out more please refer to the local Warm and Well Scheme at

Is there anything wrong with this page?