Support for carers
Carers, sometimes called family carers, are relatives, friends or neighbours who look after someone who cannot manage at home without them.
Carers do not necessarily live with the person they are looking after. Carers can be of any age, including young carers under the age of 18 looking after their parents or other family members.
We recognise the huge contribution made by carers and aim to ensure there is support and information available to assist people in their caring role by signposting them to a range of services and support organisations. To access some services you will need to have an assessment to find out which would best meet your needs. There may be a charge for these services.
- Carers Support Centre provides information and advice for all carers in South Gloucestershire
- the Carers Support Centre is working with carers in employment to support them to continue in their working role. The Carers Support Centre can support carers to understand their employment rights and options; help negotiate flexible working arrangements with employers; and trial new technology to support working carers. The project is working with employers to help identify carers in the workplace and develop carer friendly policies and practices. All employers and working carers can contact the project on email@example.com
- Carers Emergency Card, a free service which can ensure the safety of the person cared for in the event of their carer having an accident or emergency. For more details see Connecting Carers or call the Carers Support Centre on 0117 965 2200 to ask for the Connecting Carers form.
- Carers groups – For a list of groups offering opportunities to meet with other carers, have a chance to chat and share issues and to find out more about the support available to you
- Carers Strategy 2017-2020 full details about our strategy for carers
- Carers Choir A chance to listen to the choir and the opportunity to sing along. For more information on how to join the choir contact Douglas Watts on 07909 118 949 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Time 4 carers – organizes and runs a programme of subsidised trips, outings and social events for adult carers. New members are very welcome. Please call or text Alison Allan on 07597 278204
- Support for young carers – Anyone under 18 who provides or intends to provide care, assistance or support to any family member (of any age) who is disabled, physically or mentally ill, frail or elderly or is misusing alcohol or substances