Skip to main content

The contraflow on the Bromley Heath Viaduct will be removed this weekend. To carry out this work safely, we need to undertake a full closure of a section of the A4174 Ring Road in both directions from the Wick Wick roundabout to the Hambrook traffic lights from 8pm on Friday 27 April. Both carriageways will be fully open from 6am on Monday 30 April. Sign diversions will be in place. Further information at

What you can recycle at the Sort It centres

You can take household waste and recycling to any of the Sort It recycling centres. Check what can be accepted at each individual site by choosing a location below.

Find a Sort It centre

Restricted waste

There are some types of waste that are accepted at the sites, but have restrictions applied to them including tyres, hardcore, rubble, soil, asbestos, fire extinguishers. To see full details visit our special waste page.

Non recyclable household waste can be accepted at all of the Sort It recycling centres. We need to make sure we recycle as much as possible, so bags of mixed waste need to be opened for site staff to check for any recyclable items. If bags contain recyclable items, you will be asked to remove them before the bag can be disposed of. If bags do not contain recyclable items, they still need to be opened and checked by site staff.

Waste that cannot be accepted

There are some items that cannot be accepted at any of the sites at any time:

  • Petrol, diesel – the Sort It centres are not licensed to take these. You can find approved outlets that will take fuel by searching online or a business directory.
  • Gas bottles remain the property of the supplier and should be returned to them
  • Japanese knotweed is an invasive species that cannot be disposed of with household waste
  • Commercial or business waste – the Sort It recycling centres are licensed for household waste only and we cannot accept any waste produced from commercial activity or a business. You can legally dispose of commercial waste over the weigh bridges at the transfer stations next to the public sites at Carsons Road, Mangotsfield and Collett Way, Yate (charges apply). There are alternative waste contractors licensed to accept business and commercial waste.
  • Vehicles or car parts. If you have a vehicle, caravan, a large quantity of vehicle parts to dispose of, contact a licensed vehicle dismantler (these can be found in your local telephone directory or online).

When contacting alternative waste and recycling contractors, make sure you see a valid waste carriers licence and find out where your items will be disposed of or processed. If they do not have a legitimate licence, you could be held responsible if the waste ends up fly tipped or illegally disposed of.

Vehicle registration

You must register your vehicle to use the Sort It recycling centres. Unregistered vehicles will be turned away from the sites.

Is there anything wrong with this page?