Register for the Sort It centres
Anyone who wants to use the Sort It recycling centres must register their vehicle to access the sites. Unregistered vehicles are not allowed to use the sites. Access times for large vans are in place until further notice.
What vehicles can I register?
There are two types of registration, standard and restricted. You can check which one applies to your vehicle using the table at the bottom of the page.
Standard vehicle registration
- vehicles of any size (up to 3.5 tonnes) designed for domestic use that have rear and/or side facing windows including cars of any size, campervans, people carriers etc.
- there is no limit to the number of visits you can make with this vehicle to dispose of household waste
Restricted vehicle registration – limited to 12 visits per year
- vehicles of any size without rear side windows including minibuses, campervans and cars
- 4×4s, pick up trucks or people carriers (MPV) without rear seats and/or windows or with an open back
- flat bed vehicles, box vans, horse boxes with integrated cab and agricultural vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes
You can register under one of the following:
- up to two standard vehicles (unlimited visits) OR
- one standard vehicle (unlimited visits) and one privately owned restricted vehicle (limited to 12 visits per year) OR
- one privately owned restricted vehicle (limited to 12 visits per year) OR
- one commercial vehicle if it is your households only vehicle (limited to 12 visits per year). You will need written permission from the business owner to register a commercial vehicle.
Removing or changing vehicle details
If you move house or change your vehicle you can make changes to the vehicles registered to your address or remove them at any time.
To completely remove the vehicle(s) registered to your address, simply choose the de-register option on the web form once you have entered your details.
To change the vehicle(s) registered to your address choose the ‘register’ option and enter the new details. The new vehicle information will overwrite all previous entries so you will have to re-enter details of any previously registered vehicles that you want to keep as well.
- the sites are for the sole use of South Gloucestershire residents disposing of household waste. Anyone attempting to use the sites to dispose of commercial waste will be turned away whether they are a registered user or not.
- you may need to provide a copy of your V5C certificate when visiting the Sort It recycling centre if you have registered a restricted vehicle. You will be advised if you need to provide this.
- you only need to register once unless you change your vehicle or address. If you are adding a vehicle to a property, the new vehicle will replace all previously registered vehicles. This means that you will need to re-enter the details for previously registered vehicles that you wish to keep registered to the property.
- make sure you sign up at least 24 hours before you plan to use a Sort It recycling centre.
- current access times for large vans will continue to apply until further notice; Monday to Friday 10:00am-2:00pm, Saturday 8:30am-12:00pm, Sunday – no access.
- there are some restrictions on some types of waste that can be accepted at the Sort It recycling centres.
- Little Stoke Sort It recycling centre has a 1.8m height restriction and trailers are not allowed at this site at any time.
- check what can be accepted at the Sort It recycling centres before you visit.
- your visit to the Sort It recycling centre may be recorded to help us improve our service and protect both our staff and customers.
- bring proof of address and photo identification with you to site.
|Vehicle type||Allowed on site?||Restricted vehicle (limited to 12 visits)?|
|Car, estate car, people carrier (MPV), campervan, minibus (up to 9 seats) with rear and/or side windows||Yes||No|
|Car, estate car, campervan, people carrier (MPV) without rear and/or side windows||Yes||Yes|
|4×4, pick up truck – with rear seats and side and/or rear windows||Yes||No|
|4×4, pick up truck – without rear seats and/or rear windows or with an open back||Yes||Yes|
|Vans up to and including 3.5 tonnes without rear and/or side windows and without rear seats||Yes||
|Vehicle registered to a business that is resident’s only vehicle (with written permission from business)||Yes||Yes|
|Box van up to 3.5 tonnes||Yes||Yes|
|Agricultural vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes||Yes||Yes|
|Trailer up to 2m in length (excluding tow hook)||Yes (except Little Stoke)||No|
|Trailer over 2m in length||No||NA|
|Horse box with integrated cab up to 3.5 tonnes||Yes||Yes|
|Vehicle over 3.5 tonnes||No||NA|
|Any vehicle carrying waste from commercial or business activity||No||NA|