Skip to main content

Bromley Heath Viaduct – the A4174 Ring Road will be closed this weekend in both directions from the Wick Wick roundabout to the Hambrook traffic lights from 8pm on 27 April. It will be fully open from 6am on 30 April.

Online forms – due to essential maintenance a number of our online forms will be unavailable this weekend from 8am – 5pm on 28 April. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Buildings and work which require building control approval

The building regulations apply to most building work, therefore it is important to know when approval is needed.

You will need to apply for building control if you are planning any of the following types of buildings/extensions or alterations:

  • house extensions, however, a porch or conservatory may be exempt under the building regulations, (please contact us to discuss your proposal)
  • loft conversions
  • converting a garage into a habitable room
  • a car port, if it has less than two open sides or is over 30m2 in floor area
  • underpinning a building
  • re-roofing a house
  • internal structural alterations to a house
  • alterations which may affect the means of escape in case of fire, e.g. changes of layout, changing the use of rooms, alterations to fire doors
  • converting a house to flats, or a shop to an office etc
  • installing a toilet
  • replacing windows
  • electrical works
  • installation of heat-producing appliances
  • an attached garage or detached garage over 30m2
  • renovating or replacing a thermal element – a thermal element is defined as any external wall, floor or roof which separates a heated space from the outside, examples include re-plastering or rendering substantial areas of wall, re-tiling or re-felting a roof or replacing a concrete floor.

Building regulations may also apply to changes of use of an existing building even though you may not be carrying out any construction work.

If you are at all unsure, or to discuss your proposals, contact us for free advice.

Is there anything wrong with this page?