Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (Sacre)
Every council must have a Sacre by law. This statutory body is responsible for advising the council on religious education (RE) and collective worship in its schools. RE is not a national curriculum subject, the 1988 Education Reform Act confirmed that it is a compulsory part of the core curriculum for all students.
What Sacre does
- Requires South Gloucestershire Council to review the local agreed syllabus every five years. Our next revision will be in 2021
- Monitors the provision of RE and collective worship in South Gloucestershire schools
- Produces an annual report including the work of Sacre and South Gloucestershire schools
- Considers applications from headteachers for their school to be released from the requirement for collective worship to be ‘wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character’ (this is known as a determination).
- Supports RE teachers
- Supports governors with a responsibility for RE
How Sacre works
The South Gloucestershire Sacre meets once every school term.
It has four main committees:
- Christian and other religious denominations reflecting the principal religious traditions in South Gloucestershire
- Church of England
- Teaching associations
- Council representatives
The membership of South Gloucestershire SACRE is made up as follows*:
Committee A: Christian and other religious denominations (7 members), Committee B: Church of England (2 members), Committee C: teachers’ association representatives (6 members), Committee D: local education authority (3 members), Committee E: co-options – not a voting committee (4 members) and supporting officers: SACRE advisor and clerk to the SACRE (2 posts)
(*correct as at November 2016)
Resources for Schools
- School Assembly Guidance 2018-2023 – This contains advice on how to develop an assemblies policy, and practical resources which can be downloaded via the appendices.
- Local Places of Worship – Trips and Visitors Directory – This contains advice for teachers about where to go to bring faith visitors into schools and contact details. This information is updated regularly.
- Annual Conference 2019 – Our annual SACRE conference for both Primary and Secondary teachers of RE will be held on Friday 25 January 2019 and will be FREE for South Gloucestershire teachers.
- Glossary of Terms