Domestic violence and abuse
Domestic and sexual, abuse and violence is not acceptable. If you or someone you know is a victim, report it and get help.
Call 999 if a crime is happening now or you’re in immediate danger.
Domestic violence and abuse can be psychological, physical, financial or emotional. It can include:
- emotional – being called names, being made to feel bad about yourself, being stopped from going out, being told what you can or can’t wear
- financial – being kept short of money or not being allowed to make decisions about money
- physical – being hit, punched, kicked, slapped or pushed
- psychological – being told you are a bad parent, or that children will be taken away from you or being deliberately isolated from friends and family
- sexual – being forced to have sex when you do not want to
- control – not being allowed to go where you want, when you want
- coercion – for example, being forced to do things you don’t want to do.
Next Link provides support services for women, men and children in South Gloucestershire who are, or have been victims of domestic abuse. Their services include telephone help and advice, safe house accommodation, community outreach services and group programmes.
Referrals can be made by telephone, email or through the Next Link website. At the first point of contact there is a triage advice service, and all victims asking for support are offered a relevant service that meets their needs and responds to their immediate safety risks. Callers wanting advice and guidance can access our accredited advice service.
You can also talk anonymously with our support workers through our live chat helpline.
Kinergy is a registered charity offering counselling up to 24 weeks, group work and a monthly support group to men and women who are survivors of sexual abuse and rape. Based in Kingswood Kinergy works with people from the surrounding areas – predominantly South Gloucestershire and Bristol, and people travel from as far as Bath and North East Somerset.
Kinergy has 20 years’ experience of providing specialist trauma informed counselling. We recognise the deep and far reaching effects of sexual violence and childhood sexual abuse. There is a deep understanding of how sexual abuse and childhood sexual abuse can affect all areas of a person’s life and the aim is to provide a safe, accepting and supportive environment where people can come to terms with the past, enjoy the present and look forward to the future.
Kinergy also provides counselling through the iaptus referral pathway (NHS) as a specialist counselling agency step 3.
To find out more about these services please call 0117 908 7712 or
Tel: 01454 86 8751
Please note that we are currently reviewing our information, advice and guidance about domestic violence and abuse. Updated material will be available soon.