Creating social value in South Gloucestershire
The Public Services (social value) Act 2012 requires public authorities to consider – prior to undertaking the procurement/commissioning process – how any services procured might improve economic, social and environmental well-being.
To support our achieving this standard, South Gloucestershire Council has adopted a social value policy, which sets out how we will include social value as part of our procurement processes.
What social value means to South Gloucestershire Council – Our Top 10
We believe that social value should support the overall priorities of the council. The areas that we have targeted for delivering social value through our contractors are:
- Promoting the local economy through optimising the use of local suppliers and the voluntary and community sector, and creating and sustaining new local jobs and apprenticeships
- Contributing to carbon reduction targets to become carbon neutral and to help mitigate climate change, taking account of resilience to climate change and using resources wisely, including energy, land, water and materials
- Conserving and enhancing the environment, supporting biodiversity, minimising pollution and waste and making best use of the environmental opportunities of work undertaken by our suppliers
- Promoting the personal and physical health and the mental and emotional well-being of people within South Gloucestershire e.g.
- Offering initiatives that support social or physical activities
- Tackling social isolation by providing opportunities to reconnect people with activities in their local communities
- Enabling citizens to make a valuable contribution to society
- Supporting family carers to remain in paid employment
- Supporting schools and colleges e.g. through new work placement schemes, providing mentors or assisting in mock interviews.
- Increasing participation in the Children’s Commissioner Takeover Challenge, find details here: https://www.childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/takeover-challenge/
- Providing training, workplace experience and/or employment opportunities for: –
- People with Disabilities
- People with Learning Difficulties
- Care Leavers
- Young People who are not in Education, Employment or Training, or
- Others who may find access to employment more challenging or who may be under-represented in the workforce e.g. ex-offenders
- Supporting schools through the provision of business support services
- Reducing the health and social care inequalities between our Priority Neighbourhoods and the rest of South Gloucestershire
- Achieving a service delivery model which uses, engages or supports the local community and voluntary sector including ideas such as adopting a local voluntary organisation as the provider’s ‘charity of the year’
In adopting the policy, in tender documents we will set out how social value will be assessed as part of the Evaluation Model and will subsequently agree proportionate and relevant social value outcomes with suppliers.
Helping you deliver social value
We work with local organisations to provide advice to potential suppliers who may require support in deciding how they can best offer social value through their tender responses.
Quartet Community Foundation
We work with the Quartet Community Foundation to help suppliers deliver social value. Quartet are a charity who specialise in linking businesses to local good causes. Using their 30 years of local experience, they help you focus on the key social needs of the area to build an action plan for your social value goals that makes a real impact on local communities, charities and voluntary organisations.
0117 989 7700
CVS South Gloucestershire
CVS South Gloucestershire is the umbrella body for over 1,000 voluntary, community and social enterprise (VCSE) organisations operating across South Gloucestershire.
CVS is developing an online directory of local VCSE organisations which either have an externally validated quality award or have undertaken an assessment of their activities and operations against CVS membership standards, which have been developed with South Gloucestershire Council Commissioners and Procurement Officers and other local funders.
Each organisation has provided a social value contact for you to liaise with. This link takes you to the VCSE Directory https://www.cvs-sg.org.uk/Pages/Category/vcse-directory
Is there anything wrong with this page?