Skip to main content

Notice of essential website maintenance and availability:

We apologise for any inconvenience during these essential updates.

Benefits - change of circumstances

Contact us

If you have a change in your circumstances you must tell us immediately and provide proof where possible.

You must tell us even if you have already told other organisations of the change; for example the Job Centre Plus or the Department for Work and Pensions. You will need to tell us;

  • the date of the change
  • what has changed; and
  • details of the change

The types of changes you need to tell us about include;

  • if you or your partner stop getting Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance or any Department for Work and Pensions benefit
  • if you or your partner start to receive any state benefit
  • if you or your partner receive any income not previously declared
  • if you or your partner stop working
  • if you or your partner have a pay rise, or change to your income
  • if your dependants leave school, start work or child benefit ends
  • if the circumstances of a non dependant student change
  • if childcare costs for any dependant start, change or ends
  • if there is any change to dependants aged between 16-19 e.g. leave school, start work
  • if you or your partner have a change in capital
  • if the number of people living in your household changes
  • if the income of a non-dependent changes
  • if you rent privately and the rent changes
  • if you move address (temporarily or permanently)
  • if you or your partner become or, stop being a student

We cannot list all of the changes in circumstance that you should tell us about, but if you are not sure whether we need to know please tell us anyway.

It may be considered as fraud if you knowingly continue to receive benefit when your entitlement may have changed.

If you do not tell us about a change in your circumstances within 1 month of the change occurring, you may lose out on benefit that you are entitled to, or we could ask you to pay back the money that you weren’t entitled to.

When you tell us that your circumstances have changed, we may need to suspend your benefit. We will write to you and advise you if we need to do this. We may also request further supporting evidence which needs to be provided as soon as possible and within the deadline date given.

We may suspend your benefit payments from a date in the future if we are aware that your circumstances will change and that your benefit entitlement will be affected by this future change. We will write to you and advise you if we need to do this and tell you from which date your benefits will be suspended from.

If you are receiving any Department for Work and Pensions benefit eg Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Employment & Support Allowance you must also tell the Department for Work and Pensions that your circumstances have changed.

If you wish to hand in forms or documents for your change of circumstances or seek advice you can visit one of our one stop shops in Kingswood, Yate and Patchway.

Is there anything wrong with this page?