[Skip Navigation] Home Page Newsroom Site Map Help Complaints Terms and Conditions Feedback Form Access Key Details

Free school meals

School meals

​Information about eligibility for free school meals.

Many families may be eligible for free school meals. You may be eligible for help if you fall into one of the following categories:   

  • Child Tax Credit, provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit during the four week-period immediately after employment finishes or after you start to work less than 16 hours per week.

How do I apply for free school meals?

You can apply by telephoning us on 01454 868008 Monday to Thursday: 8.45am to 5.00pm and Friday: 8.45am to 4.30pm. 

You will need to tell us the following details: 

Parent/carer details


Date of birth:

National Insurance Number (or your registered asylum seeker number) 

Child's details


Date of birth:

South Gloucestershire School you are applying for free school meals  

Note: By making an application for Free School Meals, you agree that we can use the information provided to process your claim and that we can contact other sources as allowed by law to verify your initial and ongoing entitlement. We will also inform the school attended by your child of their entitlement. 

We will then make automated checks to confirm your entitlement, and if you qualify, we will write to you with confirmation. Alternatively, you can apply by using the application form below. 

How long will a free school meals award last?

The award will remain in place for as long as your child continues to attend a South Gloucestershire School and you continue to receive one of the qualifying benefits (if your child attends, or transfers to a school in another area, you will have to re-apply to the local authority which is responsible for that school). You must notify us of any changes to your benefit status which may affect your continued entitlement.  

Frequently asked questions

For details of frequently asked questions relating to the free school meal process please see below. 

Contact us

Children & Young People Information Service


01454 868008

Department for Children, Adults and Health
PO Box 298
Civic Centre
High Street
BS15 0DQ