[Skip Navigation] Home Page Newsroom Site Map Help Complaints Terms and Conditions Feedback Form Access Key Details

What to do if you are concerned about a child

Group of four primary school children

​Information and advice about what to do if you are concerned about a child or young person.

If you have ANY concerns about possible abuse it MUST be reported by calling 01454 866000.

Our information service is the first point of contact and provides information and access to social work services to members of the public and related professionals.
If you have a good reason to suspect that a child is being abused, you should contact someone who knows what to do. Do this as soon as you can and before the situation gets any worse. You may feel uneasy about reporting what you know or have seen, but you may feel much worse if you don’t.
Social workers from your locality social work team will need to talk with you if possible and find out how serious the situation is. They try hard to help families become more able to cope with caring for their child and whenever possible keep the family together.

If a child or young person is in immediate danger then please dial 999 and ask for police assistance.

Contact us



01454 866000

Department for Children, Adults and Health
PO Box 298
Civic Centre
High Street
BS15 0DQ