[Skip Navigation] Home Page Newsroom Site Map Help Complaints Terms and Conditions Feedback Form Access Key Details

What is housing benefit?

View across streets and rooftops

Housing benefit is a means tested benefit designed to help people on a low income to pay their rent. If you are not liable to pay rent you will not be able to make a claim.

​People cannot claim if they have savings of more than £16,000 unless they receive pension credit paid at the guaranteed credit rate.

The amount of housing benefit you can get will depend on: 

  • your or your partner’s income
  • your or your partner’s savings or capital
  • the size of accommodation you need, if you are a private tenant and the local housing allowance rules apply to you
  • the size and condition of your home, compared with similar homes in the area, if you are a private tenant and the local housing allowance rules do not apply to you
  • the amount of your rent, or your local housing allowance rate
  • other people living with you

If you have any questions about claiming housing benefit please contact us.

If you wish to make a claim in person, hand in forms or documents for your claim or seek advice about it, you can visit one of our one stop shops in Kingswood, Thornbury, Yate and Patchway.

We have community benefit officers that you can make an appointment to see by calling us or asking at the one stop shops. They will help you to assess your claim if you have all the required evidence (details can be found on the benefits application form)