The annual business rates charge is normally payable over 10 statutory monthly instalments from April to January.
However, this may alter if you have a change of circumstances during the financial year, such as receiving a reduction on the amount you pay.
We accept the following methods of payment:
• direct debit on the 8th of each month (see below)
• using the internet (see below)
• internet banking (see below)
• telephone payments (24 hour service) on 0845 245 0682*
• cheque (made payable to South Gloucestershire Council)
• postal order through the Post Office
• standing order (set this up with your bank)
* Please be aware that if you choose to pay by credit card for business rates via the council's website or 24 hour automated telephone payments service, an additional charge of 1.8% will be applied to cover the council's bank charges. There will be no charge for debit cards.
Please note that all payments except direct debit payments are due on your account by the 1st of each month. Therefore, it is important that you leave enough time for your payment to reach the council’s accounts so that you do not fall into arrears.
When making a payment towards your Business rates account, please remember to quote your 8 digit billing number which starts with a 6 and is shown on your bill.
If you wish to set up a direct debit, please download the Direct Debit Mandate
Once completed the mandate should be sent to the following address:
South Gloucestershire Council
P O Box 300
Alternatively, please call our office on 01454 86 77 00 to set up a direct debit over the telephone straight away.
Once the direct debit has been set up on your account, a revised bill will be issued to you.
Using the internet
You can pay using your debit card through our secure internet payment facility.
This method will normally take up to 4 working days to reach the council’s bank account and that you should make allowance for this to avoid falling into arrears.
Please refer to your on-line bank for payment instructions but you will require the following:
Our bank sort code is 55-61-38
Our bank account number is 80105629
Your billing reference number