[Skip Navigation] Home Page Newsroom Site Map Help Complaints Terms and Conditions Feedback Form Access Key Details

Replacement birth, death or marriage certificates

A member of staff in our contact centre using a computer

Replacement birth, death or marriage certificates are available from the area in which the event was registered.

 If you need a replacement certificate you should write to us enclosing;

  • full name of the person or people  
  • date of the event  
  • where the event took place, for example the name of the church for a marriage, the hospital or address where a death occurred 
  • any further information you have to help us find the correct entry - for example parents' names for a birth, details of father's names and occupation of bride and groom for marriages  
  • a cheque or postal order for £10 made payable to South Gloucestershire Council
  • name and address of person to send the certificate to 
  • a stamped, self-addressed envelope for us to send the replacement certificate back

In South Gloucestershire, certificates are available from;

South Gloucestershire Register Office
Kingswood Civic Centre
High Street
BS15 9TR

Tel: 01454 863140

To receive replacement certificates for events that took place in Bristol, please contact the Bristol register office on 0117 922 2800.

If you are researching family history a full range of general register office indexes are available on microfiche at the following locations;

  • Birmingham central library
  • Bridgend reference and information library
  • The British library
  • City of Westminster archives centre
  • Manchester City library
  • Newcastle City library
  • Plymouth central library

As well as the birth, marriage and death indexes for the whole of England and Wales, indexes for recent events such as the adopted children register, civil partnerships and births, deaths and marriages of British citizens that have been registered overseas are also available.

It is not possible to buy certificates at any of the above locations, although some may provide internet access to the general register office online certificate ordering service.